counter

Friday, September 24, 2010

938. Sheep by Pink Floyd (1977)

Pink Floyd critiqued the socioeconomic and political conditions in England during the seventies with their concept album Animals. The album was loosely based on Orwell's Animal Farm and could easily be applied to the industrial west as a whole. The album's critique of capitalism ventures from traditional European leftist thought and into communism. In the end, the people (the sheep) rise up and overthrow the capitalists and gain control of the means of production. "Sheep" contains a cynical reworking of Psalm 23 in which the workers plot their revolution.

"The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want. He makes me down to lie, Through pastures green, He leadeth me the silent waters by. With bright knives, He releaseth my soul. He maketh me to hang on hooks in high places. He converteth me to lamb cutlets. For lo! He hath great power and great hunger. When cometh the day we lowly ones, Through quiet reflection and great dedication, Master the art of karate, Lo! we shall rise up And then we'll make the bugger's eyes water."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5mJQGMqJvw

No comments:

Post a Comment